The Secret To Your Productivity, Success, and Happiness
How to be productive, successful, and happy.
“Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do. Don’t wish it were easier; wish you were better.” — Jim Rohn
Let’s face it, we all want to be successful.
If you didn’t want to be successful you wouldn’t be reading this.
You think that success will bring you happiness.
But, if you are like most people, you are probably going about it all wrong.
You set goals and achieve them, and think that sooner or later you will be successful.
And, once you’re successful — you will be happy.
But it doesn’t work that way…
You have it backwards.
According to Shawn Achor,
“We become more successful when we are happier and more positive.”
Happiness first — success second.
Numerous scientific studies show that happy individuals are successful across multiple life domains, including marriage, friendship, income, work performance, and health.
Why Striving For Success Doesn’t Make You Happy
When you achieve a goal, your life doesn’t really change.
It doesn’t look or feel any different than it did the day before because as soon as you complete one goal another shows one up to take its place.
If you ever received a promotion only to find it is not what you really wanted, you know what I am talking about.
You find that on the road to success, each new high is followed by a sense of disillusionment and maybe even a new low.
Before long you find yourself filling your life with even more ambitious projects and goals.
Each new goal triggers the reward center of your brain and the feeling of accomplishment. As your brain adjusts to this feeling of accomplishment, each goal becomes less satisfying than the one before.
Success becomes a never-ending battle where you chase goal after goal trying to find something that will make you happy.
It becomes a cycle of chasing ever increasing goals to create a sense of fulfillment.
It never ends.
That is why success will never make you happy.
What Should You Do Instead?
Science shows that become more successful when you are happier and more positive.
This happens because positive emotions flood your brain with dopamine and serotonin. These two chemicals not only make you feel good but “dial up” the learning centers of your brain, allowing you to perform at your best.
It turns out that your brain is actually hardwired to perform at its best not when it’s negative or even neutral, but when it’s positive.
A positive brain actually has a biological advantage over brains that are neutral or negative, and by retraining your brain to capitalize on happiness, you will improve both your productivity and performance.
In fact, research has shown that every single outcome improves when you are more positive.
“A positive brain is 31% more productive than one that is negative, neutral or stressed.”
So How Can You Become Happier?
Believe it or not, you can increase your happiness.
While your genes and environment account for about 60% of your happiness, you can make conscious changes to your habits and mindsets that can make a huge difference in the other 40%.
Here are 5 ways that you can increase your happiness today.
Be Grateful — Write down three new things that you are grateful for each day
Journal — Spend 2-minutes writing about a positive experience
Exercise — Engage in 15 minutes of mindful cardio activity daily
Meditate — Use a meditation app to meditate for a couple of minutes a day
Engage in a random act of kindness — Do something nice for someone else every day.
Try these for 21 days, and you will begin to discover a change in your mindset towards more happiness and positivity.
“We find that human happiness has large and positive causal effects on productivity. Positive emotions appear to invigorate human beings, while negative emotions have the opposite effect” — Andrew Oswald
Your brain works significantly better when it is positive instead of negative, neutral or stressed.
Every single outcome improves when you start being happier and more positive rather than waiting for future success.
Scientific studies show that being happier increases your productivity by 31%, you’re 40% more likely to receive a promotion, 10 times more engaged at work, and you will live longer.
While your genes and environment define 60% of your happiness, you can make conscious changes to your mindset and habits.
When you do, your happiness will increase and so will your chances of success.
Call To Action
If you want to be extraordinarily happy and create the life of your dreams, check out my checklist.
(P.S. I have included some Amazon affiliate links to help defray the ridiculously high cost of my daughter’s education)