What if you could take a single tablet daily to ensure better health?
Surely you would do so without hesitation.
But why is it important to take a multivitamin supplement daily?
Well, to answer that question, we must first determine what exactly these supplements are.
What Is a Multivitamin Supplement?
According to the Office of Dietary Supplements at the National Institutes of Health, a multivitamin tablet has no “standard or regulatory definition.” This means that the nutrients present within the tablet are not subject to any government oversight.
The Office of Dietary Supplements lists three main types of multivitamin supplements. The first type is once-daily multivitamin tablets. These tablets contain nutrient levels close to the recommended Daily Values. They are formulated differently for children, men, women, pregnant women, and seniors.
The second type of multivitamin contains nutrient levels that exceed the daily values. They may also include herbal ingredients, or additional nutrients. According to Dr. Andrew Weil, the Daily Values established by the FDA are not optimal. Thus, excessive amounts of some nutrients could actually be beneficial.
The final type of multivitamin described by the Office of Dietary Supplements is specialized multivitamins. These vitamins have various intended uses, including enhanced performance, enhanced energy, and improved immune function.
What Benefits do Multivitamins Provide?
Multivitamins can ensure that you meet your daily nutrient intake levels in a way that your diet alone cannot. This will provide you with peace of mind, knowing that your body has what it needs to perform optimally. This is especially relevant for someone with a special diet, such as a vegetarian or vegan.
Multivitamin use can contribute to peace of mind in another way as well. Taking a vitamin supplement can decrease a man’s risk of contracting certain chronic illnesses, such as cancer.
In fact, according to a report by Dr. Han-Yao Huang and colleagues, multivitamin use has been associated with a decreased risk of cancer in men. This was confirmed in a later study by Dr. J.M. Gaziano and colleagues, which found an overall decrease of cancer occurrence in multivitamin users.
Thus, the benefits of taking a multivitamin supplement are quite clear!
What Kind of Multivitamin Should I Take?
In order to make an informed decision on a multivitamin purchase, you should know what vitamins will benefit your health the most. This eHow page lists ten vitamins that are essential for men. I will go over the vitamins and their benefits briefly here.
- This vitamin’s main purpose in the body is to balance out calcium
- It is manufactured by the body during sun exposure
- Being low on Vitamin D can cause obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and other problems
- This is an essential vitamin for rebuilding bones
- Can protect you against fractures and cancer
- Found in unpopular foods (such as broccoli and soy)
- Body uses it as an antioxidant
- Important for cell growth
- Boosts the immune system
- Essential for normal nerve activity
- Deficiency can lead to anemia
- Vegans and vegetarians are at particular risk for deficiency
- Main usage in the body is to lower cholesterol levels – reduces risk of stroke or heart attack
- Found in whole wheat, almonds, and seeds
- Can also decrease likelihood of skin and hair problems
- Promotes healthy eyesight
- Also promotes strong night vision
- The body has a high tolerance, so overdoses are very rare
- Must be taken in precise quantities as it is fat-soluble (will stay in your system)
- Very important antioxidant associated with lower rates of heart disease and cancer
- If supplemented, must be taken with food
- Increases metabolism
- Important in cell growth
- Can help with symptoms of migraines and tinnitus
- Improves heart health
- Important in the nervous system
- Essential for healthy red blood cell development
- Can lower risk for a variety of conditions, including stroke, osteoporosis, and dementia
- Promotes neural, cardiovascular, and skeletal health
- Can even improve one’s mood
It is important to choose a multivitamin that provides a sufficient amount of each of these essential nutrients. Luckily for you, we’ve compared five popular multivitamin supplements and determined the optimum choice.
Read on to learn more.
Best Multivitamin For Men
Best Multivitamin For Men
1. Our Top Pick: Opti-Men Daily Multivitamin Supplement
This multivitamin tablet promises a perfect balance of nutrients for an active man. It includes every vitamin on the list, along with some botanical extracts to further promote health.
This tablet claims to deliver all of the necessary nutrients for a man, specifically formulated for a man of any age. In addition, you only need to take one dose a day.
This vitamin is from a well-known brand, and is formulated for men who are age 50 or older. It contains each necessary nutrient, some in higher amounts due to the age-specific formulation.
This vitamin uses a food-based blend to deliver certain nutrients in amounts consistent with the Daily Values formulated for men. It is not as comprehensive of a blend as the other vitamins listed.
This multivitamin is a non-GMO, natural supplement designed to improve health and increase energy. It is a comprehensive multivitamin that contains at least the daily recommended amount of each necessary nutrient.
Upon reviewing these five multivitamins for men, we have concluded that the Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Daily Multivitamin Supplement is the best multivitamin on the market. It contains all of the essential nutrients for men, and has botanical extracts to further enhance the benefits it provides.
Though you must take three pills a day, this is a small sacrifice for the increased energy you will experience. You will also avoid needing to swallow a large pill.
In addition, taking in vitamins throughout the day ensures that your nutritional needs are always being met. You will also avoid gastric discomfort because you must take this supplement with food.
The Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Daily Multivitamin Supplement will help you take advantage of the improved health and reduced risk of chronic disease that multivitamin use provides. This supplement would be a fantastic addition to any man's diet.