Keeping an Open Mind: How to Embrace New Ideas
You might find it tough to keep an open mind. After all, there’s a certain comfort in being set in your ways.
However, opening your mind to the possibilities of new opportunities, knowledge, adventure, and even relationships could bring greater fulfillment and happiness to your life.
Find Your Motivation
In order to make it possible for you to embrace new ideas, it’s important to motivate yourself to try new things. Why do you want to become more open? Are you committed to it? Are you willing to take action to make it happen?
[box] Finding Your Motivation is one of the keys to creating the life of your dreams. Click here to get my free checklist to help you implement all 10 of my keys to creating the life of your dreams. [/box]
Choose Areas To Develop
Which areas of your life do you want to open up to new ideas? A simple example would be if you find that you’re eating the same things all the time, perhaps you’d like to try some variation in your menu. To get your mind used to the idea, try at least one new food or recipe each week. It’s a simple and realistic approach!
You could start with one small area to open up to new ideas, and then gradually include more areas of your life. Starting small can help you ease into having an open mind, instead of making a sudden, drastic change in your life.
These tips will help you become more open to new ideas:
1. Fight the urge to react in anger when you hear differing opinions. Instead, take a moment to yourself to find the wisdom to understand that everyone will not hold the same opinions as you. Try to put yourself in the other person’s shoes and see things their way.
2. Avoid closing yourself off. Welcome new situations that are different from those you’re familiar with. When you’re exposed to differing opinions, look at them as learning experiences.
3. Place yourself out of your comfort zone. Make the effort to journey out of your comfort zone often. If you have certain anxieties about new situations, you should still take this step, but make these changes slowly. Go to new places and try new things.
4. Stay social and make new friends. You’ll find that you’re more likely to discover new opportunities to try new things when you stay social. Your friends might be trying new things that they can introduce you to as well. Also, when you make a new friend, they’ll likely have a unique set of interests for you to learn about to broaden your horizons.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes the only way to learn more about a certain situation and keep an open mind is to ask a lot of questions to gain a better understanding. While you don’t want to intrude on someone’s personal life, if they’re willing to share information, you should be willing and eager to listen.
6. Avoid speculation. Go out and live the experience before you form opinions about something. Rather than blindly believing what someone else says, or assuming that you won’t like it, find out for yourself if you like something or not. This could be as simple as trying a new food, activity, or hobby.
When you have a positive attitude about new experiences, you can open yourself up to new discoveries every day. It’s a great way to keep your life fun and exciting!
Comment below and let us know about an interesting experience you had while trying new things.
Photo Credit: Nicholas A Tonelli/Flickr
[box] Are you new to Live Your Life On Purpose? Welcome, and thanks for visiting! If you liked this post, consider signing-up to receive our future posts directly in your inbox. We look forward to keeping in touch! If you have questions about this post, want to learn more about it, or you want to know how you can implement this in your own life, you are welcome to contact me here.[/box]
[box] [author] [author_image timthumb=’off’]http://liveyourlifeonpurpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Headshot.jpeg[/author_image] [author_info] Steve is the founder of Live Your Life On Purpose, where his goal is to help men become better #husbands and fathers. A former management consultant and executive coach, Steve is also a Christ-follower, #husband, #father, and entrepreneur who loves his family, friends, and helping others achieve all that they were created to be. [/author_info] [/author][/box]