We all know the importance of setting goals for ourselves, but many people haven’t realized the great value a good goal setting tool can offer. Selecting the right tool or setting up a right goal tracking system, not only can help you clarify and organize your goals, but more importantly, it can significantly increase your chance of reaching them faster with less effort.
1. Select tools based on your goal types The first step in deciding on a goal setting system is to identify what kind of goals you are setting. Is it a personal development goal, a business goal, a career goal, or a health or fitness goal? Different goals call for different goal setting methods. You will want to pick tools that are specially designed for your type of goals. Sometimes it helps to use different tools for goals of different types.
2. Select tools that are comprehensive and easy to use Secondly, it’s critical to select a system that is easy to use and doesn’t require a lot of time to learn and setup. This cannot be over emphasized. A goal setting tool is to help you focus on your goals, how you achieve your results, not on learning to use myriads of features, or anything else. If a system is too difficult to use, you’d do better without it.
However, “easy to use” does not mean it has to be simple. A lot of people think that a pen and paper based system is easy to use, but what they don’t realize is that it doesn’t support many of the important aspects of goal setting and progress tracking, that are required to successfully manage your goals. It may seem easy at first, but it usually becomes very tedious and cumbersome after a while, and can be a major stressor for your goals.
3. Select tools that help you set SMART goals A goal that is set based on SMART model (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound) has much higher possibility of being accomplished. Choose a system that helps you set goals in a SMART way and you can take advantage of all the benefits this principle provides.
4. Select tools that support taking actions Also important is that a good goal setting system must support and motivate you in taking massive action. Without action, no matter how smart a goal is set and how well it’s managed, it will never be achieved. It’s that simple. We must take action, massive action if so required. So make sure your chosen system has great task management features.
5. Select tools that help you review progress Another important feature from a good system is the function to help you review your progress and to keep things on track. This is usually accomplished through an integration of goal and task management, and a journal feature. Keeping a journal for your goals is a great way to help you stick to them and also motivate yourself.
6. Select tools that help you visualize goals For certain goals, visualization is a great motivator. Whether you believe in “The Laws of Attraction” and “Creative Manifestation” or not, to be able to see your goals’ outcome, and to constantly keep that vision in mind are always helpful in motivating yourself to reach them. Pick a tool that has a vision board function and makes it easier for you to do visualizations.
7. Select tools that help you build habits Finally, choose a system or tool that can help you form new habits. Many of our goals require a change in our behavior and mind-set patterns. This can only be done through forming good habits that help make these changes happen more easily.
No matter what goal setting tool you choose, don’t get discouraged if a particular tool doesn’t seem to work for you. Just find and try another tool. It’s all part of the process in ultimately reaching your goal, especially for those hard and difficult ones. The most important thing is to keep trying and never quit, and always know that as long as you don’t quit, you ARE making progress.
Question: What tools do you use to help you to reach your goals? Comment below.