6 Simple Habits Of A Healthy Man – And Why They Matter
I know that you’re thinking that you have heard it all when it comes to living a healthy life. You are tired of hearing that you need to drink more water and eat your vegetables. You are tired of hearing that you need to make more time for exercise.
What you may not have heard is that you need to stay healthy because your family is depending you. If you don’t stay healthy, you may not be there when they need you the most.
Several years ago I became ill because I was not taking care of myself. It happened so quickly that I didn’t even realize that I was sick until it was too late. I was so sick that I spent four months in the hospital, and it took many months of focusing on my health before I had anything close to a “normal” life.
[box] Taking care of your health is one of the keys to creating the life of your dreams. Click here to get my free checklist to help you implement all 10 of my keys to creating the life of your dreams. [/box]
It changed the way I see life, and it taught me these six simple habits that you can use to improve your health.
1. Get Enough Sleep – We all know that we need more sleep, and the evidence is pretty clear that that lack of sleep can shorten your life. Although it’s not entirely clear how many hours of sleep we really need, it is clear that failing to get at least seven hours of sleep increases your risk of major illnesses including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. Make sure that you are getting enough sleep.
2. Eat Your Breakfast – I am sure that you have heard this a thousand times, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So the next time that you are busy, and you are tempted to rush through breakfast – don’t do it. Get up earlier (so you don’t lose sleep) and eat something containing carbohydrates, protein and a small amount of healthy fat.
3. Energize Your Exercise – Let’s face it, finding the time to exercise can be difficult. We all live busy lives and getting to the gym might not be at the top of your list. The good news is that if you are creative, you can find opportunities to exercise everywhere. Walk instead of driving or taking public transportation. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. The secret is to find something that you enjoy doing so that exercising will not feel so much like work.
4. Maintain Your Hydration – Since water makes up 60% of our body weight, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that water is important to your health. In order to maintain a proper water balance, you need to keep yourself well hydrated. Make sure that you drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day.
5. Minimize Screen Time – One of the reasons that we don’t have enough time for exercise, and to prepare healthy meals is that we spend too much time watching TV and following our Facebook “friends.” Minimizing your screen time will give you more time to exercise and build other healthy habits. It will also give your more time to spend with your family. Minimize your screen time.
6. Brush and floss daily – I recently learned that brushing and flossing can add 6.4 years to your life. I was shocked to learn that poor oral hygiene leads to a long list of diseases including cardiovascular disease. Save your heart and add years too your life by brushing and flossing daily.
Creating healthy habits can be hard, but these simple habits will help make it easier for you. As we start a new year, make these habits part of your daily routine.
These habits will help make you a stronger and healthier man. They will help you become a man who will live a longer and healthier life. They will help you become a man who is better able to take care of his family.
Choose to adopt these simple habits, and become a better man, a better husband, and a better father.
Question: Which of these six habits will make the most difference in your life? Comment below.
[box] Are you new to Live Your Life On Purpose? Welcome, and thanks for visiting! If you liked this post, consider signing-up to receive our future posts directly in your inbox. We look forward to keeping in touch! If you have questions about this post, want to learn more about it, or you want to know how you can implement this in your own life, you are welcome to contact me here.[/box] [box] [author] [author_image timthumb=’off’]http://liveyourlifeonpurpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Headshot.jpeg[/author_image] [author_info] Steve is the founder of Live Your Life On Purpose, where his goal is to help men become better husbands and fathers. A former management consultant and executive coach, Steve is also a Christ-follower, husband, dad, and entrepreneur who loves his family, friends, and helping others achieve all that they were created to be. [/author_info] [/author][/box]